Skip to main content

Dar Por

 Dar por is a verb + preposition combination that has several meanings.

To take to

A la gente le dio por hornear panes y bizcochos durante la cuarentena. (People took to baking bread and cookies during the quarantine.)

Rosa siempre hacía platos españoles, pero ahora a ella le ha dado por hacer platos franceses. (Rosa has always made Spanish dishes, but now she has taken to making French dishes.) 

To take up

Cuando se jubiló, a mi padre le dio por jardenería. (When he retired, my father took up gardening.)

To presume dead or give up for dead

Lo dieron por muerto en la guerra aunque no encontraran el cadáver. (He was presumed dead, although the body was not found.)

Los soldados enemigos la dispararon y la dieron por muerta, pero sobrevivó. (The enemy soldiers shot her and left her for dead, but she survived.)

To take for granted

Di por hecho que encontraría el trabajo perfecto, así que seguí buscando. (I took it for granted that I would find the perfect job, so I kept looking.)

Jorge había dado por sentado que se casarían. (Jorge had taken it for granted that they would get married.)

Dio por sentado que tenía un buen trabajo. (She took it for granted that she had a good job.)

To consider or to believe to be

Intenté arreglar la lavadora muchas veces, pero un día lo di por imposible y compré otra. (I tried to fix the washing machine many times, but one day I [just] believed it to be impossible and I bought a new one.)

Doy el asunto por concluido. (I consider the matter closed.)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog