Skip to main content

Dar Por

 Dar por is a verb + preposition combination that has several meanings.

To take to

A la gente le dio por hornear panes y bizcochos durante la cuarentena. (People took to baking bread and cookies during the quarantine.)

Rosa siempre hacía platos españoles, pero ahora a ella le ha dado por hacer platos franceses. (Rosa has always made Spanish dishes, but now she has taken to making French dishes.) 

To take up

Cuando se jubiló, a mi padre le dio por jardenería. (When he retired, my father took up gardening.)

To presume dead or give up for dead

Lo dieron por muerto en la guerra aunque no encontraran el cadáver. (He was presumed dead, although the body was not found.)

Los soldados enemigos la dispararon y la dieron por muerta, pero sobrevivó. (The enemy soldiers shot her and left her for dead, but she survived.)

To take for granted

Di por hecho que encontraría el trabajo perfecto, así que seguí buscando. (I took it for granted that I would find the perfect job, so I kept looking.)

Jorge había dado por sentado que se casarían. (Jorge had taken it for granted that they would get married.)

Dio por sentado que tenía un buen trabajo. (She took it for granted that she had a good job.)

To consider or to believe to be

Intenté arreglar la lavadora muchas veces, pero un día lo di por imposible y compré otra. (I tried to fix the washing machine many times, but one day I [just] believed it to be impossible and I bought a new one.)

Doy el asunto por concluido. (I consider the matter closed.)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puesto Que

 I have always had some trouble remembering the meaning of the Spanish conjunctive phrase puesto que , which means because, given that, since . This morning I encountered this phrase twice while listening to Las rebajas de enero at Lawless Spanish . It is a short listening exercise that happens to use puesto que twice. I am going to do my best to integrate it into my speaking practice and hopefully get it to stick in  my memory. Below are the two sentences in the exercise that use this phrase. 1. Muchos artículos habrán sido vendidos para finales de este mes puesto que las rebajas están siendo condideradas como las principales protaginistas de enero.   2. A pesar de la crisis, millones de euros están siendo gastados durante estos días en las tiendas, y además miles de devoluciones ya han sido realizadas puesto que la calidad de los artículos no había sido comprobada antes de haberse vendido, y el cliente no estaba satifecho.    Here is a link to the exercis...

Cunde Poga

 Hello! I enjoy watching and listening to the Spanish From Spain YouTube channel where Reyes teaches everyday Spanish as it is spoken in the street, as well as traditional grammar, vocabulary, and test preparation lessons. Today his video lesson is about words and expressions that young people are currently using. My favorite is cunde poga . It is used to express how much you really like something. So a young person might say  me   cunde poga   instead of  me gusta mucho.   Reyes was unable to explain the origin or use of poga , but he thinks that cunde is from the verb cundir . It is a new word to me. According to Word Reference.com, it is used to say that something goes well, goes fast, or goes a long way. Another of my favorite words in this video is mortimer . When you say estoy mortimer , you are saying I am dead tired. I love learning new words and expressions in Spanish. ¡Me cunde poga! Here is a link the the video.   Palabras que us...

Spanish Idioms Using Caballo