Skip to main content

Happy Three Kings Day!

 Today is January 6, 2020. It is Epiphany, 3 Kings Day, 12th Night, the end of the Christmas season. While I have been a somewhat familiar with the customs regarding the celebration of this holiday in Hispanic cultures, I did not know that it is also celebrated in England. The 12th Night celebration across the pond includes theatergoing. This tradition began with the first showing of William Shakespeare's 12th Night on the 6th of January in either 1601 or 1602.  It was written as a 12th Night entertainment for the close of the Christmas season. 

The Brits also celebrate this feast day with a delicious fruit cake. 

Cake and a trip to the theater. Sounds like great fun to me! 😀

Happy 3 Kings Day!




(3 Kings Clipart: Bing Creative Commons Images License CC-BY-NC



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puesto Que

 I have always had some trouble remembering the meaning of the Spanish conjunctive phrase puesto que , which means because, given that, since . This morning I encountered this phrase twice while listening to Las rebajas de enero at Lawless Spanish . It is a short listening exercise that happens to use puesto que twice. I am going to do my best to integrate it into my speaking practice and hopefully get it to stick in  my memory. Below are the two sentences in the exercise that use this phrase. 1. Muchos artículos habrán sido vendidos para finales de este mes puesto que las rebajas están siendo condideradas como las principales protaginistas de enero.   2. A pesar de la crisis, millones de euros están siendo gastados durante estos días en las tiendas, y además miles de devoluciones ya han sido realizadas puesto que la calidad de los artículos no había sido comprobada antes de haberse vendido, y el cliente no estaba satifecho.    Here is a link to the exercis...

Cunde Poga

 Hello! I enjoy watching and listening to the Spanish From Spain YouTube channel where Reyes teaches everyday Spanish as it is spoken in the street, as well as traditional grammar, vocabulary, and test preparation lessons. Today his video lesson is about words and expressions that young people are currently using. My favorite is cunde poga . It is used to express how much you really like something. So a young person might say  me   cunde poga   instead of  me gusta mucho.   Reyes was unable to explain the origin or use of poga , but he thinks that cunde is from the verb cundir . It is a new word to me. According to Word Reference.com, it is used to say that something goes well, goes fast, or goes a long way. Another of my favorite words in this video is mortimer . When you say estoy mortimer , you are saying I am dead tired. I love learning new words and expressions in Spanish. ¡Me cunde poga! Here is a link the the video.   Palabras que us...

Spanish Idioms Using Caballo